Monday, April 17, 2006

It's Over...and I have the footprint on my butt to prove it!

So you would think that after subjecting me to three weeks of ostracizing, the silent treatment, switch-a-roo games, and other misc mean-spirited behavior that they would at least let me have peace for my final day. Oh no! That would be asking too much. Here's a short list of things I learned today.
- Apparently, I've spent the last several years working under a manager who has no idea what a letter of reference is and even after having it clearly explained to him still is not capable of writing it.
- This beloved company that I devoted 5 years to does not have a corporate policy in place for references. Meaning that it is up to the Supervisor's discretion whether they respond to or answer questions about prior employees. Apparently, they are welcome to and it's encouraged that they refuse to answer the questions of perspective employers.
- This company's HR is not for the peons, but rather those earning six figure and up salaries or impressive, but meaningless titles.
- Our HR likes to pat you on the head and say "oh, that's a shame", however if you're expecting them to take action on your behalf or stick up for the rights of or mental or emotional well-being of the employee, well you're living in a fantasy world.

.....so after today I get to start tending to my battle wounds and start trying to rebuild my confidence in myself, my faith in others, and my hope that there's a company out there that truly does recognize and maybe *gasp* reward motivation and those who seek growth and advancement. There's just so much anger, frustration, sadness, shock, and hurt...and I'm not sure how to process it all. I know, it sounds overly dramatic, but I feel like I just ended an abusive relationship. The upside- been there, done that, and I survived. And one thing they can't change is that I didn't slink into a corner. I stood my ground and fought my battles, and did so while maintaining a professional demeanor, something which is all too foreign to them.

Ahh....my sympathy to the poor sap who replaces me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ang said...

My sympathy to the poor soul who replaces you too! MWHAAAAA, MWHAAAAA ! Girl, I am proud of you for standing your ground in all of this and not surrendering. It is truly sad what has happened and I am extremely embarrassed for what has happened to you there. I am sorry that your confidence was shaken, but I KNOW that you will bounce back in a very short time. You are a strong, independent and talented woman. Don't forget that. The others who have pulled you down will be on that project til they retire...there is so much more out there for you to grasp. Great things are in store for you. You will see.

4/18/2006 9:41 AM  
Blogger IAmJonas said...

Would you mind emailing me? iamjonas99 at yahoo

4/18/2006 12:31 PM  
Blogger West Coast Mia said...

WWWOOOOOHHHHOOOOO you are free. I am so glad that the emotional ball and chain you had for the last five years is gone. You deserve so much better than those people. You will find a place that will appreciate you and have plenty of room for advancement. I am really proud of you for not taking crap and standing up to those people. You are my hero. I love you!

4/18/2006 12:55 PM  
Blogger LaLa Lisa said...

Ang- Thanks! I definitely wouldn't have survived these last few weeks w/o you. I know I'll bounce back, it's just going to take some time. And I think it's slowly starting to really hit me.

Jonas- Done...

Mia- I sure do feel a lot lighter not being bogged down by all that b.s.! Hehe. :) Thanks for the sweet words. Love ya sis!

4/18/2006 4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home