Saturday, January 21, 2006

Kicking Off 2006 in Slacker Style...and Family Insanity Preview

Ok, ok...so I know I've been awful about posting regularly. If it makes ya'll feel any better I've been slacking off in many areas. This being my last weekend of freedom before Spring semester begins on Jan 23, I should be getting the house/bills in order, going to get my taxes taken care of so I can fill out the FAFSA and get me some loan money so I can pay for academic torture, and probably cleaning last semester's crap out of my backpack. But alas, instead I have chosen to plop my butt on the couch and lounge around all day watching cheesy Lifetime movies. I tell ya those things are addicting. Rather than ending winter break in a blaze of glory it's much more appealing to spend a lazy day lying in bed.

I think I'm still trying to physically recover from the recent burst of traveling activity. Oh, and yeah...I so haven't mentally recovered from the December visit with my family. I'm going to give you guys the snapshot version of one aspect of rudeness and ridiculousness that I had to deal with during this wonderful visit home. My sis arranged for us to have lunch with my mom and her hubby. No biggie, right? Well, the first time my sis was seeing our mom in ten years and I've only seen her two times over the last ten years. Neither of which times was very pleasant. As you may imagine, my sis and I were a bit apprehensive/nervous/curious as to how this lunch would go down. Both sides agreed that it should be low key and no issues or serious topics would be addressed. This was basically just supposed to be a casual lunch. Well, certain family members felt the need to invite themselves to the lunch, one of them being my aunt. It began to feel like the lunch was becoming some sort of side show or the hot ticket in town rather than something private and low-key. And with my family, the more of them in a room the more likely sparks are to fly. So here are some of the highlights of why I'm not too happy with Aunt C.

1) When I called her to tell her that I thought it best that it just be my sis and I given that this was going to be the first meeting in a decade, she went ballistic and hung up on me.

2) The next day she called and left me a nasty "make-up" voicemail that basically said, even though you were evil and insensitive and cruel I'll forgive you. I ignored this message because really what good could have come from responding. Nothing productive.

3) A few days later Aunt C calls my sis and asks her to let me know that they won't be able to attend our wedding due to money issues. This was never a factor or mentioned before. Hmm, apparently money matters didn't affect their Reno trip the day I arrived or the Las Vegas trip they were going on two weeks later.

4) My last night in town I called my uncle to say that I was too tired to drive all the way to their house, but would be happy to meet them at a restaurant somewhere in the middle. He said he'd talk it over with my aunt and I never heard back.

Ok, there's more but this is already a book. Needless to say, I've received two messages from her in the past week. She's acting like nothing ever happened. I am not someone who can do fake niceness. If I'm going to talk to her at all then we're going to discuss these issues. However, I have a feeling that she'll go psycho and the conversation will go nowhere. So do I keep ignoring her till she gets the hint? It's tempting but my little cousin, B, is a junior bridesmaid, so I kind of need to know if they're attending since my sister nixed Aunt C's plan to send Cousin B to the wedding with my sis since we could watch her. Because in the days before my wedding I'll have nothing to do, right? Nope, so I'll plenty of time to babysit. Fricking insanity. I love my little cousin to pieces, but things will be a bit too hectic then for me to be babysitting. A sane person would know this. My family however, is not sane obviously. So any thoughts anyone (that is if you had the patience to make it all the way to the end of my ranting). Guess we know why I'm so tired, eh?

5 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

wow your aunt strikes me as an emotional vampire...i'm sorry you had to go through that and i'm even sorrier that she's too dimwitted to know enough to let you and your sister meet with your mom without your aunt being present. how utterly selfish of her...ugh..i wish i could wave a magic wand and make it all better...if i could i would *big hugs*..sending positive vibes and happy thoughts your way *smooches*

1/24/2006 12:48 AM  
Blogger LaLa Lisa said...

Thanks sweetie! Yeah, I think what makes it worse is that I expect this sort of behavior from other members of my family, but was completely blindsided by the fact that this crap was coming from her. I'm still in pending status. :) I haven't called...not sure if I'm going to. Hope all is well with you hon!

1/24/2006 8:11 AM  
Blogger PaintingChef said...

And here I hadn't been to visit you in a while because I thought you were taking a blog-break! I'm SO sorry! And look at all that has happened!

Here's my take on the family stressfullness...this is your WEDDING. You will always remember this day and you do NOT want people around that are going to make it not the most perfect day ever. If they are saying that they can't make it, don't argue with them. Just tell them "I'm sorry, but I understand." Don't call them and don't let them get to you. Just BE. THE. BRIDE.

1/25/2006 10:51 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

i'm doing ok...getting over a bout with strep...still working to lose weight, losing inches, so i must be doing something right..other than that, just dealing with three kids, 2 cats, 2 dogs, 10 fish, 1 pleco, 1 snail and a husband *L*

1/25/2006 9:28 PM  
Blogger Kjersten said...

HI! Got your lovely gorgeous gorgeous save-the-date card! Nice work! :)

2/01/2006 1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home