Thursday, October 06, 2005

Go Sandra!! And I Get All Feminist...

Sandra Bullock is one cool chick! So I'm sitting here watching Oprah (yes, I ditched class, but I deserve to do so after the week I've had and the mid-term I survived today, but that's a whole different story). They're talking about the movie Crash, which by the way looks really good. I think it's going to spark some great conversation about racism, stereotypes and sexual violence. You know the issues that really matter but always seem to go underreported by the news and media and get little attention from politicians. Anyways, getting off my soapbox now. So Oprah and the actors/actresses from Crash are having a candid conversation about the "n" word. I agree with Oprah, that it just shouldn't be used at all. It's definitely way too racially charged and the negative connotation it has is too strong. However, Ludacrous (sp) and Don Cheadle disagree and are making arguments for why the "n" word or "nigga" are ok to say between black people. Oprah continues to disagree and mentions how the terms shouldn't appear in music videos either. Well, Sandra Bullock chimes in and says well while we're on the topic of retiring words, can we take "bitches" and "hoes" out of the videos and music as well. Woooot! Go Sandra! That has always irked me. I get the whole freedom of expression and music is art blah, blah, blah...but I personally find it demeaning to women and think it just perpetuates our subordinate status in society. On the other hand though, to me it's also says a lot about a person if they feel the need to use those words in their vocabulary. If you can't make good music without sexualizing or opressing women, then personally in my mind you're lacking in the talent department and just jumping on the band wagon of what's popular these days. And how sad is it that these words are used so freely and considered cool lingo with the younger generation?

Ok, I'm done being all self-righteous now. Sorry, it's this women's studies class I'm taking. And I just finished writing a paper on the gender wage gap. It's ridiculous that there's only 7 female excutives between all of the Fortune 500 companies and women continue to earn 75 cents for every 1 dollar earned by men. That value drops if you're a woman who aren't white. I really think the key is getting more women in high-level positions so a trickle down event begins to happen. Because to be honest, I don't think we'll get the promotions or salaries we deserve if we're constantly having to request them from a male boss. Although, I could be very biased given what I've gone through the last 3 years.

4 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

i agree on the "n" word, i got tired of that real quick in college...wasn't so much the "n" word but that it was ok for everyone to say it but white people, but we could get called anything under the sun..racism works both ways...as for the others...they bug me too, but to an extent...i really try to not let words bother me, because that's all they are when you come down to it..words...i have more important things to get ticked off about...like the fundamentalist xians acting as if they're a persecuted minority and our current administration..even then i have to draw the line or that big vein in my forehead will pop *L*

10/06/2005 4:38 PM  
Blogger Kjersten said...

Crash is a very thought-provoking movie. It was disturbing... but it's important for these issues to be addressed. At the end of the movie, you have a feeling that there is no easy solution... makes you realize that everyone is going to have to work together if any changes are going to be made.

10/07/2005 10:04 AM  
Blogger West Coast Mia said...

When I watched Crash within 15 minutes of the movie I wanted to break the DVD. I gave it a chance and in the end I was glad I did. It really made me think deep about the subject of racism. How racism affects every type of person in this world not just whites or blacks. As far as the words in music I don't think to much about it. I just don't buy that type of music. People that use those types of words in their everyday conversations are people I tend to stay away from. I can't say it is wrong because that would be saying millions of other people in the world are wrong. I sure as heck wouldn't let my kids listen to it.

10/07/2005 11:16 AM  
Blogger Bailey's Mom said...

go lisa! go lisa!!!

I have heard from alot of people that have seen CRASH and loved it. Its on my "must see" list. I totally agree with you on the "N" word.. i dont get why its ok for some people to use it and not for others.

10/07/2005 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home