Friday, July 15, 2005

Just call me the Kick Ass Presentation Chick!

So I finished my paper in one night. Woohoo! Seriously, this is huge for me as I usually spend forever writing, editing, and rewriting papers. Yep, because I'm an anal perfectionist like that. Does it actually make it any better? Eh, who knows? But it does make it wordier! Haha!

So had the Sex Crimes class today and let me just say I KICKED ASS on the presentation. Me, who hates having to speak publicly or having all eyes on me...remained cool, calm and collected. I stated all my points without using a lot of "filler" language. I'm quite proud of myself. Oh, and I scored 20 points out of 20. Yeah, I know all that angst for a measly 20 points. Go figure! :)

So I'm learning a lot about rape and sexual assault crimes in this class. I've read some seriously disturbing statistics and items of interest. I've contemplated posting some of the information on here, but haven't decided yet. I might get on my soap box and once that happens, it would take five of you to pull me off. Haha! But you can help me with one thing- have any of you seen the movie The Accused with Jodie Foster? We had to watch the pinball rape scene in it the other day. The instructor warned us that it was graphic and disturbing, but Oh My Lord...that doesn't even begin to cover it. I seriously felt nauseous and thought I may vomit or just burst in to tears watching it. Anyways, now I'm curious about the rest of the movie. Is it worth renting? Also, does it have a happy ending? Yes, I want you to ruin it for me because there's no way I could sit through that rape scene again and deal with a sad ending. That would just send me over the edge. Since taking this class, I've contemplated a career as a Rape Victim Advocate. The only problem is I'm not sure if I could handle it mentally or emotionally. Who knows? Perhaps I'll just stick with the teaching plan. :)

Anyways, off to read an exciting book all about Pgymy people. The fun never ends in our household!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kjersten said...

Congratulations on a presentation well done!

I would be interested in hearing some statistics. Just not anything too disturbing, not sure how much I could handle...

7/16/2005 7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lis,
congrats on your presentation! you rock! i'd love to hear some statistics. not much bothers me, after studying the jfk assassination for years and viewed numerous autopsy photos, nothing much bothers me anymore. you could total be an advocate for rape victims, maybe even for kids as well. I think it'd be a great thing to be. I'd worry about the emotional part of it as well though. you can be like me and double minor in government and political science (major in history, if i EVER get to go back!) and embarrass the hell out of sean by running for public office *LOL*. i'd love to run for public office, but my best friend jaime has photo copies of my bare a** from a LONG time ago when i got bored at work. he said he's saving it for when i run for public office...doh!
Beth

7/16/2005 10:30 AM  
Blogger Bailey's Mom said...

YAY! Lisa running for public office - sounds great to me cause we have most of the same political views :)

Not sure her honey would agree with all the changes she would want to make tho...
Sean is one of those pesky right-wingers EWWWW (LOL - j/k)

7/17/2005 1:22 PM  
Blogger Kjersten said...

You okay out there? helloooo? :)

7/21/2005 7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as long as sean isn't a neo con, then i guess he's ok, ha ha ha... those pesky right wingers can be rather irksome though :P ... i think Lisa's been thinking about prison showers and bars of soap...probably riddled with nightmares over her presentation she had to give, ha ha j/k
Beth

7/21/2005 10:15 PM  
Blogger AnoniMs. said...

Hey Lady! Thanks for your call today about lunch...I wish I had been in town and I def would have met you guys! I am indeed still in the local area...so we should shoot for next week perhaps? I am in Nashville for the weekend...then back to DC Monday....
Hope you are doing well!

7/22/2005 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home