Wednesday, July 27, 2005

An extra little tidbit of dysfunctionality!

So went over the wedding guest list last night. In all, there's maybe ten people from my family invited. Is our family small? Nope, not at all...it just so happens though that most of them are insane (really), violent, self-obsessed, or could care less what is going on with me. Of those ten, history tells me that I should only expect four people to come- my sis and my aunt Carla and her great hubby and wonderful daughter. Not that the others couldn't but mostly they won't show because they could care less or are evil. So no, no parents from my side. I guess I'm just having a tough time having this cold, hard reality stare me right in the face. A good friend though reminded me that along with a very understanding and patient fiance I'm also inheriting a "real" loving and incredibly warm family. Sean's family rocks. His mom- there's no words to describe how amazing this woman is. She called me yesterday just to tell me how blessed they are to have had me in their lives for the last couple of years and how great I am and that she just loves me to pieces. Ok, so yeah, I got mostly screwed in the family dept; however, God did bless me with incredible friends, a great fiance and his sane, emotionally stable and extremely loving family. Now, I just need to keep reminding myself of this and stop the pity party that has been Lisa for the past few days.

9 Comments:

Blogger Bailey's Mom said...

Lis,
Sorry you are having a tough time, but the wise person that reminded you of the family you are marrying in to is sooo right. You have so many people that love you and care about you and that counts as family too! You dont have to be a blood relative to be family - all your friends/sean and sean's family are here for ya. You have a whole family that knows YOU ROCK here in DC metro, another family in Cali and a third in Florida!!! How many people are so blessed to have 3 whole states full of people that love them???!!!!!!

7/27/2005 2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lis,

how do you get one of these mother in law's that rocks? i'm curious and would love to know where i can purchase one :P . mine's thinking about staying in s.korea for another year..you know what... GOOD FOR HER, ha ha ha ha.
Beth

7/27/2005 6:46 PM  
Blogger LaLa Lisa said...

Bethers- Nope, she's all mine and I'm so keeping her to myself. But everyone should have a mommy like Sean's. She's just a kick ass mom, businesswoman and home decorator! How does a Utah lady end up in South Korea? So guess you won't be going to visit her! haha.

Elise- Ahh, you're such a sweetie! Thanks girlie. I need to get some international Lisa fans, so I have free places to crash overseas. Hehe! So ya ready to do some serious shopping soon? :)

7/27/2005 8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa,
she's there on a seventh day adventist mission and as far as i'm concerned she can stay there, ha ha.
Beth

7/27/2005 9:46 PM  
Blogger LaLa Lisa said...

Bethers- Suprised you didn't try and send John on the retreat with her. I mean it would be one less "kid" to contend with. Hehe!

7/28/2005 7:45 AM  
Blogger PaintingChef said...

You know, there are no rules that say you HAVE to be walked down the aisle by your father or that you HAVE to adhere to certain traditions. Why not treat your friends like your family? Is there anyone you see as a father figure? That person could walk you down the aisle. There are so many traditions in weddings that are skewed to people who have these "normal" families and frankly...who has one of those anymore? Its all so archaic. As long as the people you hold the dearest to you are there, then so is your family.

And as another person who isn't so lucky in the in-law department let me just tell you...you are really getting it good. My MIL calls me out of the blue to tell me that she doesn't like the paint on my walls. There are simply no words...

7/28/2005 8:57 AM  
Blogger West Coast Mia said...

Wow amazing how many people have the family blues. I am so sorry that such a wonderful time has brought hurt to your heart. Just remember that I love you with all my heart. You are such an incredible sister. I could never of made it without you. Don't let other people take away any of your happiness because they are not worth it. They didn't help make you the most wonderful person in the world you did that all on your own. Take this wedding and make it yours and Sean's day only. Do what you want to do and only that. Take advice from great family and friends but in the end make sure your decisions are what makes you happy. I am truly greatful that you have been blessed with Sean's great family. Steve's family is so wonderful and they always make me feel so good. If you need anything or need me to put my foot up a family members a$$ that gives you any trouble just let me know. :-)I love you and Sean sooooo much.

7/28/2005 12:04 PM  
Blogger LaLa Lisa said...

PC- I've actually got the aisle-walking taken care of. My aunt who I adore and her great hubby will be both walking me down. Thank God for good friends! They've kept me sane over the last several years and are priceless.

Mia- I would endure our insane family all over again to end up with you as my sis. Ok, enough sap. Now kick some ass out there for me. Haha! :)

7/28/2005 8:50 PM  
Blogger Kjersten said...

I'm sure that Sean's family will more than make up for whatever pain and anguish your family has caused. And... at some point you'll have your own kids to worry about messing up... and maybe all the bad memories will fade away.

7/29/2005 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home