Sunday, May 22, 2005

100 Things About Me….(Ok, so I only made it to 54).

So I’ve seen these lists on quite a few blogs. I’m always compelled to read them, even if they’re written by complete strangers. So here’s my attempt at my own. No one has ever accused me of being at a loss for words, so this should be quite do-able.

1) My entire family is pretty much certifiably insane (no, really) except for my aunt Carla and my wonderful sis Moria (who I wouldn’t have survived childhood without).
2) I was so relieved and happy when my parents who brought out the worst in each other finally divorced when I was in sixth grade.
3) After their divorce I lived with my mom for a few years. At 15 I left home, this was not entirely my choice, and moved in with my sis. Thanks Mia!
4) I skipped the 5th grade and graduated from high school a month after my 16th bday.
5) A month after my 18th bday I moved in to my own one bedroom apartment. I had been buying furniture and other items for months and storing them at friends’ houses.
6) I had a very devoted and caring teacher in high school that is now like an adopted father to me. He's my inspiration for wanting to become a teacher myself.
7) When I was 19 (read entirely too young, stupid and immature), I married an extremely intelligent and good-hearted guy. We adored each other.
8) A few years later, I become a quite young divorcee. (Lesson: Don’t marry young. It’s too easy to screw it up even with the best of intentions or partners.) Divorcee isn’t the best title to carry around forever.  Can’t they come up with a nicer sounding word?
9) I have so much respect for people who marry young and are able to grow and stay together. Marriage is definitely one of the most rewarding and difficult experiences one can have in life.
10) After messing things up with a great guy, I was determined to make things work in my next relationship.
11) Unfortunately, the next relationship I became involved in was one that I should have cut my losses and ran rather than lose myself in.
12) So 3 ½ long tortuous on/off again years later, I finally realized that banging your head against a brick wall will always result in massive pain and suffering. (Yeah, I know I’m such a quick learner.)
13) Self-esteem in the toilet because that will happen when someone blames their lack of affection on your being too fat or after years of dating one day turns to you and says, “Hmm, I don’t think I love you anymore or maybe I never did” in the same tone/manner as if they had asked me to pass the butter.
14) I don’t think that it occurred to said “boyfriend” that the added weight was directly related to his mind games and frequently pointing out body parts of other women he liked and I should try and emulate.
15) I learned that ultimately people can only treat you as badly as you allow them to. If you do not demand respect, often people will not feel compelled to give it.
16) It was during this roller-coaster relationship that I made many of my cross-country drives, about four round trips. The one and only time I’ve been to a gay club was on one of these trips while visiting a friend in Nebraska. What a blast, although I was bitter about how damn hot the gay men were. *sigh*
17) During my first driving trip from CA to VA, I broke down in The Middle of Nowhere, New Mexico when I braked extremely hard to avoid hitting a dog running across Interstate 40.
18) I had to run across both sides of the Interstate and climb over the divider to reach a payphone since my cell phone couldn’t get reception.
19) All this while battling a freak massive snow storm that had hit New Mexico that day. Thank God for the wonderful tow truck driver who took my car to his friend’s shop where it was fixed in a few hours. The only other auto shop in the town was booked for the next week.
20) With that said, I think the auto shop owner scammed me. I later found out the supposed “part” he fixed on my car didn’t exist. Hey, at least I was only scammed for about $150. I would have paid a lot more being the auto repair retard I am. And I made it the rest of the way safely.
21) The best decision I ever made for myself was to see a therapist. (Thanks to a wise ex-roommate of mine.) I don’t care how “healthy” a person thinks they are every one can benefit from it.
22) I recently started seeing a new therapist. I love this lady! She’s fabulous and even better comes from an equally dysfunctional family. There’s just a camaraderie between people who come from a brood of crazies. 
23) Next best decision- Zoloft. This stuff rocks! Take that panic attacks.
24) I lost someone extremely close to me in a really bad car accident. Lee was only 16. He was an amazing kid and almost six years later he’s still often in my thoughts.
25) Every time there’s a beautiful day or I experience a great life moment I feel a twinge of sadness that Lee was robbed of so many of life’s joys.
26) For years after his passing, I would have an anxiety attack every time I saw or passed a car accident.
27) People always speak highly of the deceased, but Lee truly warrants it. He had an amazing spirit and I’m so grateful to have known him.
28) There’s only one other person in the world that I know who has an equally compassionate and wise spirit. The world is a better place with this person in it and I know they’ll do great things with their life.
29) I’ve been blessed with truly great friends in my life and thank God for them. They’ve provided support, comfort and advice when my family couldn’t or wouldn’t.
30) Ok, so far my list is rather depressing and long…so maybe I’ll only go to # 50. 
31) I have two “kids”- Baden Pup and Tigger Kitty. They are the cutest, most loveable pets in the world.
32) I think animals are so much better than people. They’re more loyal, loving and kind.
33) I honestly don’t know how Sean and I amused ourselves before Baden. He provides hours of entertainment via wrestling, toy chasing, doggy park adventures and the miscellaneous cute faces/poses he does.
34) My favorite city I’ve lived in so far is Phoenix. Great weather (most of the year), tons of outdoor fun and so many concerts and cultural events come through there. It is impossible to be bored in that city. Oh, and the best restaurants. I so miss west coast Mexican food.
35) Phoenix also had the best looking male population out of any city I’ve lived in. I’m convinced that my hometown in Northern CA is void of any good-looking single men.
36) I hate summers in NoVA. The humidity sucks! I spend June through August with a head of massive puffy curls.
37) My curly hair is the bane of my existence. My sis has thick, beautiful straight hair. I got the super thick kinky curly hair. Yes, there is no wash and go with this mop of frizzies.
38) It can easily take me 90-120 minutes to blow dry my hair straight. Yes, by the time I die this will equate to probably years of my life being spent with a round brush and blow dryer. Sad, but true!
39) I have the worst under-eye dark circles. Oh, and the strange thing about them. They didn’t appear until the self-esteem destroying relationship mentioned earlier. Apparently they are ere to stay darn it. I guess it could be worse. Thank heavens for Prescriptives concealer. Hehe.
40) I dumped the excess 20 pounds when things ended with said emotionally challenged boy. Woohoo! Go Me!
41) I hope I don’t sound bitter. I probably do, for a reason I won’t go on to here. However, really I’m not. It’s a cop-out to blame him. I allowed it and as such suffered the consequences and went through hell and back but came out so much stronger for it. Cheesy but true. And I did gain a good friend out of this, so all is ok.
42) I think a bad relationship can be harder than a drug addiction to break. Although, I’ve never had a drug addiction, so what do I know?
43) Long showers are like coffee for me in the mornings. The shortest shower I think I could possibly take would be 20 minutes. I just can’t do under that. Normal shower is 30 minutes and a luxury one is at least 45-60.
44) I like scalding hot water in the shower. I brush my teeth in the shower too. Sean used to think this was so weird and I think it kind of freaked him out, but now he does it too sometimes. Haha!
45) I’ve had three root canals. They’re horrible and excruciatingly painful. I think I’d rather be stabbed in the arm then endure another one. Yes, they were that bad.
46) I LOVE desserts- anything sweet, except for frosting. Fruit Cobblers are my favorite!
47) I have not eaten red meat in probably over 5 years. I really want to be vegetarian, but am too wimpy to follow through. I feel guilty every time I visit the PETA website. Ooh, and how disgusting is this… A doctor on Oprah said that we don’t break down meat in our stomach, so essentially it just sits there and rots. Nice, huh?
48) I think Canadian accents are so damn sexy!! I would love to live in Edmonton for a year. I’ve visited there twice. They have the largest Mall in the world. Yes, bigger than Mall of America. It was amazing. There’s a mini golf course, amusement park, water slides, wave pool, bungee jumping machine, ice skating rink, bars and dance clubs galore in there. Oh, and of course an endless number of clothing, shoe and other misc stores. I could live in this mall and be quite content.
49) Baden Pup likes to sleep in the middle of the bed between Sean and me. It was so cute at first, but now I miss being able to snuggle with Sean.
50) My nickname for Sean is Seanie Burger Butt. It’s because he has the great booty. I mean talk about Buns of Steel. You could bounce a quarter off that butt!
51) I can’t imagine life without my big sis. Even though her over protectiveness drove me nuts when we were young, now looking back I’m really grateful for it. I know she had good intentions and love her for looking out for me.
52) Sean’s parents are the greatest. I adore them. His mom and I talk daily. She’s the most caring, nurturing and warm person. She’s an incredible lady. His dad is so wise, smart, perceptive and still does grand romantic gestures for his mom. They are too cute! They raised a wonderful son. He’s very kind, polite, respectful and a true gentleman. He works so hard and gives his all to everything he does. You can’t help but be impressed when you sit back and watch him. He can still make my heart flip flop when he winks and smiles. Oh, and I still think he has a Nick Lache’ish thing going on.
53) Sean and I first met for coffee. Later that same day, we met up again for dessert. That night we talked until 3 a.m., I love those moments. I was floating on a cloud the next day at work, even though I only had three hours sleep. I was truly swept off my feet by him and fell hard the moment we met (even though he was wearing a tie with roosters on it). Don’t worry, I’ve taken over wardrobe control. Haha! Oh, he also impressed me with his white boy rapping skills. Move over Eminem! In all seriousness, he’s pretty damn good. Don’t worry, I won’t forget the little people when he’s famous and we’re rich. Haha!
54) Ok, I’m falling asleep as I type, so the list will have to be continued…….

6 Comments:

Blogger Kjersten said...

Good list, looking forward to the other half. I'm impressed with how many enriching life experiences you've had. Makes me feel a little boring :)

So glad to hear that I'm not the only one that needs 30+ minute showers every morning. It's a mystery to me how people can be clean after 5 minutes. Also, we need to talk about the eye circles... yours always look great and I want whatever you have!

5/23/2005 1:18 PM  
Blogger LaLa Lisa said...

I loved reading your's. It's so interesting to hear about another person's experiences. I feel like mine was too wordy. I can't just write one sentence. Perhaps with the list of 54 I've inflicted more than enough suffering on all three of my readers. :)

I know, it boggles my mind that someone can be in and out of the shower that quickly. I have a whole routine and it just won't yield itself to anything less than 20 minutes. I mean there's the body wash, facial cleanser and scrub, shaving, shampoo and conditioner, etc.

I've tried everything as far as make-up goes for the eye circles. The best so far is Prescriptives they have a liquid concealer. It works well, but sometimes wears off by the end of the day. Oh, and if you cry or your eyes water- poof it's gone. So last time I went I bought the full coverage concealer which is thicker. I love it! The only downside is that it comes with a light and darker shade. Really all I need is the light, but the darker does come in handy for red areas around the nose. Let me know if you need a shopping buddy!

5/23/2005 2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the 411 on Sean's bum...um...I didn't NEED to know that, but I guess any knowledge is good knowledge..? ~Mel

6/01/2005 4:09 PM  
Blogger Ok...I'm lost said...

Ok....so. Just curioius. Who's #28 about? ;o)

6/03/2005 10:19 AM  
Blogger LaLa Lisa said...

#28 is a person who knows who they are...and silently lurks and reads, but will probably never comment.

6/03/2005 10:33 AM  
Blogger IAmJonas said...

I told you I read the whole blog! I don't know if you'll get this comment or not but...11-15 remind me scarily of a female friend of mine's current situation. I wish she could talk to you for some support and figure out how to get out of that situation! I just don't know what to tell her anymore.

3/14/2006 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home